Finding a moist cornbread muffin that doesn’t break the bank on calories or fat can be difficult. Thanks to a few ingredient substitutions this recipe should free up plenty of room for more black-eyed peas and greens! Printable recipe PDF Moist Cornbread Muffins.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup fage Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
Mix thoroughly until all dry ingredients are well incorporated.
3. In separate bowl or large measuring cup combine: egg, yogurt, and buttermilk.
Using a fork or whisk mix the wet ingredients until smooth.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just incorporated.
Do not over mix, batter should be lumpy but be sure to get all dry ingredients from edges and bottom of bowl well moistened.
5. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon distribute batter into prepared muffin tin or lined with cupcake wrappers. Only fill 1/2 to 3/4 full or muffins will rise and spill over.
To prepare a muffin tin, coat with a non-stick spray or lightly butter using a paper towel to distribute fat evenly.
6. Bake Muffins @ 425 degrees.
Open oven door for 20 seconds and allow the hot air to escape before placing muffins in the oven and shutting the door to cook. (This will equalize the heat and prevent uneven rising.)
Per Serving: 93 Calories
1g Dietary Fiber
Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carb